Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Green Beer and Mobile Marketing


Yesterday was St Patty's Day. Famous for green beer.


I had a plan to go out with some friends for green beer. Close to where I live, there are three different establishments to choose from, and we hadn't decided which one. Of course, life often gets in the way, and sometime around 9:30 pm I noticed that it was getting late and we hadn't gone out yet. And since I'm no longer in my early 20s, I was starting to get tired.

I would have been happy to go out, and I was just as happy not to. In the end, we didn't. But it struck me that my decision to actually go out, or not, was really close. Perhaps something could have tipped our decision. What could the owner of any of the 3 local pubs have done to encourage me to go out? Or if I had already decided to go, help me to decide which pub to go to.

The answer is easy. They could have sent me a text message earlier in the evening with some sort of special offer. Probably, even just a green-beer-special would have done the trick. I wonder how many others were like me, right on the tipping point of making a decision, and then ultimately deciding not to go out. I wonder how many of those consumers would have changed their decision with one little encouraging mobile message.

No comments:

Post a Comment